You might not think of Berlin as a city of palm-fringed beach bars, but there are several hidden gems by the water if you know where to look. Sit back and watch the sun set in real time, cocktail in hand, sand between toes… What better way to end a summer’s day? Here’s our pick of the best beach bars in Berlin.
Badeschiff: Floating outdoor pool with beach bar
The classic: at Badeschiff, a converted shipping container invites you to swim. A pool in a river. Afterwards, recline in a deckchair on the large sandy beach by the bar. Cold drinks and choice DJs guarantee holiday vibes by the glittering Spree.
- Badeschiff Eichenstraße 4, Treptow, daily 10am-7.30pm, online ticket for 2 hours €6.50 www.arena.berlin/veranstaltungsort/badeschiff
Relax in the sun at Sage Beach
Situated on the Spree between Schlesisches Tor and Ostbahnhof, Sage Beach is one of the places to be during the Berlin summer. The beautiful beach bar belongs to Sage Restaurant. On the large wooden terrace you can sit comfortably overlooking the river, and there’s also a nice section with white sand and deckchairs.
- Sage Beach Köpenicker Straße 18-20, Kreuzberg, Tue-Sat 6pm-12am, www.sage-restaurant.de
Sip cocktails by Warschauer Brücke at Captains Beach
Why spend your holidays in faraway places when there are palm trees, sandy beaches and sunshine in your own city? The 600sqm Captains Beach attracts its guests to the Spree with comfortable deckchairs, an adjacent restaurant and a beach promenade.
- Captains Beach Mühlenstraße 78-80, Friedrichshain, daily from 2pm, www.piratesberlin.com/beach
Relax on deckchairs at Capital Beach
Caribbean flair at Berlin Hauptbahnhof? Capital Beach delivers. The beach bar offers plenty of colourful chairs by the water and takes good care of its guests. And if you get too warm in the sun after all that relaxing and feasting, cool off with one of their 60 cocktails.
- Capital Beach Ludwig-Erhard-Ufer, daily 12pm-10pm, Facebook
Four-poster beds under the open sky at Deck 5
For over six years, Deck 5 has been opening its doors during spring and summer. Located by Schönhauser Allee Arcaden, it’s the highest beach bar in the city and no longer an insider tip. As well as plenty of sugary white sand, comfortable lounges and a spectacular view over Berlin, a wide selection of refreshments await — so you may end up staying several happy hours.
- Deck 5 Schönhauser Allee 79, Prenzlauer Berg, daily from 2pm, www.deck-5.com
Chill by the pool at Haubentaucher
At the heart of Haubentaucher (literally Great Crested Grebe — that cool water bird with a mohawk) is the 240 sqm heated swimming pool. Sup cool drinks at the bar, then unwind on a sun lounger under palms and parasols. An urban oasis in the midst of the lively RAW grounds.
- Haubentaucher Revaler Straße 99, Friedrichshain, Fri, Sat, Sun from 12pm, www.haubentaucher.berlin
Feel sand between your toes at Gestrandet an der Jannowitzbrücke
Relax by the water… or perhaps a little boat trip? Opposite S-Bahn station Jannowitzbrücke, directly by the jetty of Berlin’s largest shipping company, you’ll find Gestrandet an der Jannowitzbrücke. Although the sandy beach area is rather on the small side, you can also relax on a lounger or sun yourself on the steps.
- Gestrandet an der Jannowitzbrücke Am Rolandufer, Mitte, daily from 12pm, www.gestrandet-in-berlin.de
Hafenbar at Müggelsee: Soak up some sun and jump in the lake
In the summer months, Lake Müggelsee is a popular destination for Berlin day-trippers. Close by at Hafenbar in Friedrichshagen, for example, you can lounge on the sand by the shore, cool off in the water or just relax and enjoy the sun.
- Hafenbar Josef-Nawrocki-Straße 25, Köpenick, Mon-Fri from 11am, Sat+Sun from 10am, www.windfluechter.berlin/hafenbar-am-mueggelsee
Schönwetter: Cosy beach bar in Mauerpark
Good weather is the cherry on top at Mauerpark’s famous flea market. Here you can laze on beach chairs, sip drinks and relax to music. And all on white sand.
- Schönwetter Mauerpark, Prenzlauer Berg, Wed-Sat from 3pm-10pm, Sun 9.30am-10pm, www.schoenwetter-berlin.de
Cocktails and reggae at Yaam
The beach bar at Yaam by Ostbahnhof is open daily except Mondays. Visitors from all over the world meet here, chill reggae music provides the soundtrack, and you can watch the sun set over the Spree with a drink in your hand.
- Yaam Stralauer Platz 35, Friedrichshain, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sun 1pm-4am, Fri+Sat 1pm-7am, www.yaam.de
Enjoy a beer in the sand at Zuckerzauber
The sweet Zuckerzauber bar is a little hidden; not far from Ostkreuz S-Bahn station, next to the popular club ://about blank. Behind the red curtain, armchairs and sofas nestle in the sand under open skies. Sip your cold beer while DJs are playing. Colourful bohemian drapes exude the typical wonderland vibes of the Berlin club scene. The fact that the bar isn’t located by the water doesn’t detract from the Urlaub vibes here.
- Zuckerzauber Markgrafendamm 24c, Friedrichshain, Thu+Fri 6pm-2am, Sat+Sun 4pm-2am, www.zuckerzauber.info
Cold beers and river views at Pampa im Holzmarkt
OK, Pampa im Holzmarkt is not technically a beach bar. But it is one of the most beautiful spots along the Spree to sip a crisp beer and watch the evening sun glitter on the water. The relaxed ambience of surrounding Holzmarkt accentuates those holiday feels.
- Pampa im Holzmarkt Holzmarktstraße 25, Friedrichshain, Wed-Sun from 2pm, www.holzmarkt.com